Tacos can be somewhat associated with a really high-calorie, carb heavy meal, but they really don't have to be. In fact whenever we make tacos in my home they are not only one of everyones favorite meals, but they are also loaded with veggies, protein, and exciting seasonings that make them just as tasty, without the carb overload. Not to mention tacos are probably one of the easiest and most versatile meals to make that can suit a wide variety of preferences. Shrimp tacos, vegetarian tacos, vegan tacos, breakfast tacos you name it I love them. I mean who doesn't love a good taco...especially a healthy one.
These tacos are easy to throw together, bursting with flavor, totally satisfying, easily made vegetarian/vegan (which we do quite often), gluten-free, and just a little bit spicy. Through a summery margarita on in with them and you will forget your at home.
Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- 6 corn tortillas (gluten free)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 head of lettuce
- 1 can black beans
- 2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8-10 jumbo shrimp (I will buy frozen)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 limes
- My pico de gallo recipe
- Place tortilla shells in the oven for roughly 5-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Shred lettuce and chop avocado into small pieces.
- Rinse black beans and pour into a bowl. Mix with 1 tsp cayenne powder for spicier beans.
- In a skillet on medium heat, cook shrimp (de-shelled, and de-veined) with the juice of 1 lime, and olive oil. Add 1 tsp cayenne, and cilantro and cook until shrimp are pink (roughly 5 minutes or so).
- Make my pico de gallo recipe (this is my secret weapon to the BEST tacos!)
- Remove tortillas from oven once warm and slightly more firm. Layer with lettuce, beans, avocado, pico de gallo, and shrimp. Drizzle with lime and salt to taste.
- Eat and enjoy!