With my wedding less than a month away now (gah!) I have been seriously up-ing the amount of fruits and veggies in my diet (especially greens), increasing my water consumption, and have been paying closer attention to my supplement regimen. I honestly don't really take too many supplements, but I have found that adding a b-complex vitamin, probiotic, and clean protein (low-sugar/vegan) always seems to give my hair, skin, and nails that little extra shine, strength, and glow.
Since my skin has a history of being a drama queen and can throw me for a loop sometimes, I knew leading up to my wedding that I really wanted to focus on adding foods and skin-healthy supplements to help my skin glow (and stay break free!). This means that I pay even closer attention to ingredients, and add a few more supplements to my diet that support healthy, glowing skin. I also try to make sure that I am getting 100% of my recommended protein needs, and use a clean vegan protein supplement that can help me meet my needs, without a lot of uncessessary added sugar, or filler ingredients. Recently I have also been reading a lot about collagen supplements and after doing a lot of research I ended up connecting with this incredible brand Vital Proteins who makes a very high quality collagen peptide supplement from marine sources!!
Since I don't eat any meat/poultry and only eat sustainably sourced seafood, I was really happy when I found a collagen peptide brand that sources marine collagen for their supplement, instead of the usual beef sources. What I love about this supplement is that the collagen is sourced from wild-caught, non-GMO project certified snapper so it fits in perfect with my current eating philosophy.
So what is collagen anyway, and why are people starting to add it into their diets? Collagen is the protein that is found in the connective tissue of our body and is important for our bodies connective tissue. It is essential for our bodies mobility, and is helpful in the regeneration of hair, nails, skin, and our bodies cartilage.
Fun facts about collagen peptides :)
- Collagen peptides supply amino acids that are needed to build new collagen.
- Collagen peptides are easily digestible and support healthy skin regeneration, and promote skin suppleness.
- Improved digestion by repairing intestine sensitivity and irritation.
When I began adding it to my diet I wasn't sure quite how I was going to include it, but over the past few weeks I have found my favorite ways of adding it into my diet.
- Add to smoothie :) This is by far my favorite way to add marine collagen peptides into my diet. There is no noticeable taste or smell and it even up's the protein in my smoothie!
- Add to coconut water! This is a close second since the coconut water hides the really minor taste/smell of the collagen peptides and is totally unnoticeable.
- Add to morning coffee! This is the last way that I have found I can add the peptides without really noticing them. I still feel as though I notice a slight change in the smell of my coffee but otherwise it is pretty easy to hide the collagen into the coffee, which it seamlessly blends into.
While it has only been a couple of weeks that I have been including collagen into my diet I definitely have noticed that my nails seem to be getting stronger, and my skin has been pretty much break out free. I think that I still need to give it more time to truly notice any big differences but so far I am happy with how my body seems to be responding to this new supplement, and it is definitely something that I plan on continuing.
Now onto my new favorite Green Glowing Smoothie Bowl Recipe that my skin and digestive system has been loving!
Green Glowing Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 1 Tsp Bobs Red Mill GF Oats
- 1 Tsp Navitas Naturals Raw Cacao Nibs
- 3 Frozen Strawberries
- 1 Tsp Coconut Shavings
- Combine all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl and add toppings. Eat with a spoon and enjoy!