This salad has been making quite the appearance lately in my house, I just cant get over how easy it all is to throw together, and how incredibly satisfied I feel after eating it. As someone who tends to not love fruit in salads (unless it is fruit salad of course!) there is just something very balancing about strawberries and goat cheese to me that makes this salad the perfect combination of savory and sweet.
What I love most about this salad though is the fact that it doesn't require any dressing. I honestly believe that dressings in general tend to mask the flavor of the vegetables you are consuming, and so I love coming up with ways to avoid needing to use any dressing. Usually if I do use dressing it will just be some olive oil, or balsamic vinegar, but for this salad you honestly don't need anything, the avocado does the trick for you. All you need to do is pour all of your ingredients in one large bowl and then stir vigorously with a spoon, the avocado and egg will begin to breakup and you will find yourself with an incredibly creamy salad.
Now since I don't tend to consume very much dairy at all (I have off the charts recorded lactose intolerance) I find it to be very important to choose quality dairy products when I do choose to consume them. A small amount of goat cheese, or aged cheeses like parmesan tend to be fine for me, and if you struggle with issues around dairy these may be some good options for you to consider trying as well (I will write another post on dairy intolerances soon). However, it so important to remember that when it comes to dairy, choosing an organic or locally produced product that comes from an animal not treated with any hormones, or antibiotics is incredibly important. The dairy products I purchase for our household usually are organic, 100% grass fed, and purchased locally whenever possible.
Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad (makes 2-3 servings)
- 1 Bag of Spinach - I always buy organic
- 1 Avocado
- 10 Strawberries (cut length wise)
- Goat Cheese - Try for organic and grass fed
- 2 Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Grape Tomatoes
- 1/2 Cup Slivered Almonds
- 1 Tsp Himalayan Sea Salt (my favorite!)
- Wash your spinach and other vegetables and allow to dry.
- Hard-boil two eggs (I usually boil water and then place eggs in boiling water for 10-12 minutes, make sure the water is boiling softly and isn't a rolling boil for the best hard-boiled egg).
- Chop strawberries, tomatoes, and avocado
- Combine all ingredients in one large bowl and mix vigorously until the avocado and egg have broken apart, and have left a nice creamy dressing like coating on the spinach leaves.
- Sprinkle salad with a little more Himalayan Sea Salt if you would like, and enjoy!