Shredded Brussel Sprouts and Pistachio Salad with Pomegranate
With so many holiday sweets recipes floating around this month I thought it would be nice to share with you a holiday inspired warm salad that is perfect to bring as a side dish to any holiday party. The combination of shredded brussel sprouts, with roasted pistachios, and bright pomegranate makes it one of those salads that seems to cover all the bases.
I don't even remember exactly when I first discovered warm salads, but gosh if you haven't discovered them yet I am glad to be the first one to introduce you to them. Warm salads are such a nice way to shift your focus away from the typical lettuce + veggies + protein salad variety and move into some creative uncharted territory.
If I am going to be totally honest as well, I really believe that for many people warm salads are the way to go in terms of optimal digestion and GI comfort. Let me ask, how many of you out there are trying to do everything right, you make your healthy salad for lunch, you bring a side of fruit, and maybe a piece of whole grain bread, and while you feel great while eating your meal not even 20 minutes goes by before you start feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Sound familiar?
Many of us actually have a difficult time handling all the fiber that a large lunch time raw salad can throw our way. Not to mention adding in more fiber and fructose from a piece of fruit, and even more fiber from a piece of whole grain bread. For some people it really is a match made for bloating! Now don't get me wrong though, I am all for upping our fruits and veggies, and our fiber for that matter since generally as a population we do not consume enough, but simply tweaking how these wholesome salads are prepared can make all the difference in how our bodies experience digesting them.
Interestingly enough, when we slightly cook our vegetables the fiber in them begins to soften making them much easier to digest, and can lead to less bloating. For me personally, I have found that while I can handle raw salads, I don't do well if I eat them with any kind of grain, or fruit. But if I make a warm salad, I can have some berries and a piece of gluten free bread and feel just fine.
You have to find what works for you but giving warm salads a try, especially if you are someone who struggles with bloating, IBS, or general GI discomfort, is definitely a good place to start...not to mention they are absolutely delicious, especially this recipe that I am going to give you below :)
Lately, I have been making this salad ahead of time and actually placing it in the fridge to eat a few morning out of the week with a one or two sunny side up eggs. It really couldn't be an easier breakfast, and the savory nature of it just leaves me feeling so satisfied going into me day.
shredded brussel sprouts and pistachio salad with pomegranate
- 4 cups shredded brussel sprouts (some supermarkets also sell them by the bag like Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- Seeds from 1 fresh pomegranate
- 1 tsp himilayan sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Place a medium size sauce pan over medium-low heat.
- Add coconut oil to pan and allow oil to melt and coat the pan.
- Next shred your brussel sprouts by chopping off the ends, discarding, and then slicing length wise in thin slices.
- Gently rinse your mushrooms and slice into bite sized pieces.
- Stir your brussel sprouts and mushrooms into the coconut oiled pan, and allow to sit (stirring occasionally) for about 5 minutes.
- Next, add your pistachios, raisins, and sea salt to the pan and stir occasionally.
- Once your brussel sprouts and mushrooms have begun to cook/sizzle you can add your pomegranate seeds.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with a little more Himalayan salt to taste.