There is nothing worse in my opinion than a horribly boring salad. Since I tend to eat a lot of them all week long I've got to find a way to keep them interesting, and me entertained otherwise its not even worth the effort of chopping everything up in my opinion. I have found that my favorite salads that are sure to leave me feeling satisfied always have a combination of a few things: color, fat, protein, and crunch.
Recently since we have been making meals in my house that can double as either lunch or a part of dinner the next day, I have been experimenting with different salads that could also work as a side, or even the base of my vegan tacos. With the goal of creating a versatile salad that was quick to make, satisfying, and loaded with colors that would keep me entertained I happened to stumble upon this amazing combination and am SO excited about it. I actually think I ate this salad four out of seven days last week and I am not complaining.
Whether you want to eat this salad on it own, maybe with a little added protein, or as a side dish, I can promise you that you wont be disappointed.
rainbow shredded salad
- 1/2 Purple Cabbage
- 10 Shaved Asparagus Steams
- 2 Cups Shaved Brussel Sprouts
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 1 Cup Black Beans
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Plum Tomato
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Tsp Cayenne
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Juice of One Lime
- Cook 1 Cup of Quinoa by boiling 2 cups of water on the stove, and adding 1 cup of rinsed quinoa. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Chop cabbage and brussel sprouts and add to a large bowl.
- Shave with a peeler or julienne the asparagus, and add to bowl.
- Chop avocado, onion, and tomato, and add to bowl.
- Drain black beans and add to bowl.
- Add remaining cayenne, sea salt, olive oil, and lime juice.
- Once cooked and cooled add quinoa. Stir together until the salad is well mixed.
- Serve and Enjoy1