Power Protein Breakfast Bowl
There is just something about smoothie bowls that gets me every time. While obviously there is a time and a place to drink your morning smoothie from a straw (ie when your running late), to me there really is no better way to enjoy a morning smoothie then right from a bowl. I find that when I am eating my food, rather than drinking it, I tend to be more present and aware of what I am eating. I also tend to eat it a lot slower and notice when I am beginning to feel full better than when I am drinking my smoothie.
I also have found that when I am able to take 20 minutes in the morning to prepare, eat, and enjoy my morning breakfast in a present state, I am more likely to be calmer throughout the day, and find it easier to manage stress. It is amazing to me just how simple it can be to create a moment around food that can set your mind in a positive place.
Since I am a visual person, I personally like to take the time to individually highlight the nourishing ingredients I am using to fuel my body for the day by arranging them in a way that is visually appealing (like the image above). Do I have the time to do this every morning? Absolutely not! However, when I do I notice that right away I feel as though I have almost given myself a little pretty gift that I get the chance to enjoy that morning.
If this is resonating with you at all, I honestly challenge you to take 20 minutes to make this smoothie below (will take you less than 10 minutes to throw together), and then sit at your table (make sure you sit! not stand!) without your phone, computer, etc. to distract you and simply enjoy your morning meal. Make it last for 10 minutes, and then you can get up and move about your day, I promise you will enjoy this experience more than you think!
POWER PROTEIN BREAKFAST BOWL
This smoothie bowl is packed with protein, antioxidants, healthy omega-3's, and polyphenols that will help you feel full and satisfied as you begin your day. It is free from any dairy and refined sugar.
- 1 scoop of vanilla vegan protein
- 1/2 Cup Almond Milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Water (unsweetened)
- 1/2 Cup Spinach
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Blackberries
- 1/2 Frozen Banana
- 1 teaspoon Matcha Powder (I get mine from Davids Tea or Whole Foods)
- 1 teaspoon Chia Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Stevia (optional: I do not include any in mine, but you may want to for a little added sweetness, you can also you raw maple syrup or honey)
- 4 Ice Cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon Chia Seeds
- 4 Strawberries (sliced length wise)
- 1 teaspoon Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon Slivered Raw Almonds
- 1 teaspoon Raw Gluten Free Oatmeal
- Combine all smoothie ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Depending on your blender this could take anywhere from 1-3 minutes
- Pour your blended smoothie into a bowl, don't fill all the way to the top you want to leave some room for your toppings.
- Add the above toppings in any design you would like on top of your smoothie, or just throw them all in if you don't care as much how it looks :)
- Eat your smoothie with a teaspoon (not a tablespoon), this will make your smoothie last a little longer and will extend your nice morning meal.
- Make sure to sit (not stand!) and eat your meal without any electronic distractions, this can be hard to do but trust me it is worth it!