I will admit that I had an entirely different post scheduled for today, but when I woke up and it was cloudy, pouring rain, and kind of cold I knew that I needed to share with you all immediately my favorite rainy day beverage.
I have been a huge fan of chai tea's for as long as I can remember, but on a rainy day they literally are all I want, especially first thing when I wake up or right before bed. There is something about the blend of spices that is so comforting and makes you feel as if you are indulging in something really decadent.
While I have been making healthy chai tea lattes for years, recently I wanted to try and find a way to kick my latte up a bit and make it feel a little more fulfilling, especially before bedtime when I am craving something to eat, but my digestive system needs to rest an prepare for bed.
After a lot of trial and error I have finally come up with my perfect formula to an incredibly decadent chai tea latte, that is entirely guilt free. By mixing a variety of flavors and non-dairy milk sources, as well as my favorite chai tea from Davids Tea, I have come up with something that has quickly turned into more of a treat in my mind, then a typical cup of tea.
Homemade Chai Tea Latte (serves 1-2 depending on size of tea-cup)
- 1 cup cashew milk (unsweetened)
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews (overnight is ideal, but even a few hours will do)
- Liquid Stevia (a few drops to taste) - you can also use maple syrup
- Boil water and steep chia tea bag (make sure it is de-caffeinated at bedtime) in about 1/2-1 cup of water for a few minutes.
- In a blender combine 1/2 cup of cashew milk, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, coconut, cashews, and liquid stevia. Blend ingredients until smooth and frothy.
- On the stove, heat 1/2 cup of cashew milk and using a milk frother, froth the milk until it begins to form a cloud-like consistency.
- Combine steeped tea and mixed spice/milk mixture into a mug, and top with frothed milk.
- Dash a little cinnamon on top and enjoy!