This is an great really easy recipe which is great to make for dinner if you are looking for something relatively light and o shall we say...haven't had power to light up your stove in three days. Just saying. You will need a grill though...that is if you have no stove, or even if you do have a stove, I still think that this would be better on the grill. Anyways here is the recipe.
Eggplant Tomato and Mozzarella Stacks
- 1 eggplant sliced thin
- 3 large tomatoes sliced thick
- 1 large ball of fresh buffalo mozzarella
- 1/2 cup homemade pesto
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- 5 basil leaves
- salt to taste
- Balsamic vinegar is optional find being a vegetarian that eggplant is one of the best "meaty" vegetables and a few of these stacks I found to be perfect for a light meal. They would also make great appetizers as well or a good side to any rice or quinoa dish. I hope you all enjoy!
- Slice your eggplant thin leaving the skin on.
- Spray lightly with a cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Lay on the grill for about 5 minutes total or until soft. Make sure to flip your eggplant so that both sides cook evenly.
- While the eggplant is cooking slice your large tomatoes into thick slices. You want them sliced thick so that you can build your stacks.
- Once you have sliced your tomatoes slice your mozzarella into even pieces.
- Once your eggplant is ready to take off of the grill spread a thin layer of pesto on each piece and then layer with a piece of tomato and mozzarella.
- Continue this process until your stack is as high as you would like and then repeat with the next stack. This process should make about 4-5 stacks depending on the size of your vegetables.
- Top each stack with a few basil leaves or pesto and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- You can also drizzle some balsamic vinegar here but I found this to still be nice without it if you aren't a big balsamic vinegar fanatic.