I love eating breakfast foods for dinner, lunch, and I guess why not for breakfast as well while we're at it. Honestly, my mom used to make breakfast foods like waffles, and pancakes for my sisters and I growing up when my Dad would be traveling, and it would always feel like a special occasion. For some reason I still love having breakfast for dinner, and Mike and I tend to make "breakfast" for dinner once a week, and currently our go to favorite is this killer frittata.
Frittatas for some reason are just so much more satisfying than a typical omelette, I love adding as many vibrant vegetables as I can, and tend to use a mixture of whole eggs and egg whites to balance out the fat/protein content that makes this frittata so satisfying.
Lets be honest though a frittata would not be complete without a good potato at its side. Since I would take sweet potatoes over white potatoes any day, I have worked to create a DELISH Baked Sweet Potato "Hash" if you will that is perrrrrfect with this frittata.
These potatoes have a little spice to them and of course would not be complete without a little garlic. I like to add some black beans to round the whole dish out, and I basically never eat eggs with avocado (obviously) soooo just trust me and give this dish a try for dinner, lunch, or breakfast sometime and just try and tell me that you aren't satisfied after.
For those of you that follow me on instagram, tag me if you make this so I can see all your incredible creations!
Broiled Vegetarian Frittata with Homemade Sweet Potatoes
Frittata Ingredients (serves 2)
- 6 eggs (I usually remove 3 of the yolks)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 white onion
- 1/4 cup mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1 can of black beans (serve on the side)
Baked Sweet Potato Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper ( omit if you don't like spicy food)
- For the Frittata: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Chop onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper. Crack 6 eggs into a bowl and whip with a fork (remove 3 yolks). Combine all frittata ingredients, stir and then pour into a small greased sauce pan, and place in oven on broil for 20-30 minutes.
- For the Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash sweet potatoes throughly and chop into small cubes. Place sweet potatoes in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Chop garlic cloves and add to sweet potatoes. Sprinkle cayenne, sea salt, and black pepper into bowl and mix together. Spread sweet potatoes onto a baking pan, or glass baking dish and bake in oven for roughly 60 minutes.
- Serve Frittata with a side of sweet potatoes and black beans, and enjoy!